Tramadol Side Effects
Tramadol is a synthetic opioid pain medication that is often prescribed for the management of moderate to severe pain such as the one felt in chronic health conditions such as arthritis and post surgery. It is usually available for sale under Ultram, one of its commercial names.
Individuals who experience more acute pain may be prescribed an extended-release formulation of the drug that allows them to feel long lasting pain relief without requiring to ingest the drug very often.
Is Tramadol harmful?
This medication, though somewhat atypical with its activity as an opioid drug elicits its narcotic properties through the opioid receptors in your brain. Similar to other medicines in this group of substances, some people may be more prone to addiction in case they:
- Ingest the drug in higher amounts than prescribed
- Ingest it for non-medical reasons
- Take it for an extended period of time
- Take it more often than what has been prescribed by the doctor.
- Take it simultaneously with other drugs such as sedatives, alcohol or other pain drugs
Addiction to Tramadol is characterized by the following:
- An inability to limit the usage of the drug on your own
- Obsessive drug-seeking behavior
- Problem functioning in the absence of the medication
What are the side effects associated with Tramadol use?
Some probable tramadol side effects of this drug may include the following:
- Difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep
- Changes in mood
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of a body
- Loss of appetite
- Indigestion or heart burn
- Dilation of blood vessels
- Dry mouth
- Visual disturbances
- Reduced blood flow to the heart
- Fatal respiratory depression
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Tingling and nervousness
- Suicidal tendencies
- Low blood pressure
- High blood pressure
- Tightness in the muscles
Individuals who suffer from a seizure disorder should initiate the treatment with Tramadol after consultation with the doctor. The effects of this drug on several neurotransmitter systems are believed to mediate a probable pro-epileptic response. This means that it may cause seizures. As a consequence, this drug becomes more dangerous for its abusers as the chances of seizures or convulsions go up at high dosage amounts.
What are the severe side effects linked with Tramadol use?
Other severe side effects reported to arise from the regular usage of Tramadol pills may include the following:
- Blisters, hives or rash
- Swelling of the face, tongue, eyes, throat, lips, feet, hands, ankles or lower legs
- Not able to get or keep an erection
- Decrease in sexual desire
- Problem in breathing or swallowing
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Lack of coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- Accelerated heartbeat
In case any of the above mentioned symptoms persist or worsen with time, do not waste time and get in touch immediately with a qualified medical practitioner.